CUSTOMIZED TREATMENT FOR AUTISM SPECTRUM DISORDER
Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) is also known as Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) and includes conditions such as Asperger’s Syndrome. This complex neurodevelopmental disorder is characterized by deficits in social interaction, language development, and a restricted or stereotypical pattern of interests and activities. The prevalence of autism has increased more than tenfold in the past 20 years, and recent reports indicate the incidence is 65 per 10,000 children.
Our compounding pharmacists can customize medications to help solve problems associated with autism.
- Medications that are free of casein (dairy protein), gluten (wheat protein), corn, egg, and soy
- Sugar-free medications, to reduce the growth of yeast
- Non-oral dosage forms (transdermal, rectal, nasal, injectable) for patients who have poor gut absorption secondary to inflammation, oxidative stress, and infections.
- Dose and flavor specific for each patient.
Examples of requested compounded prescription medications include:
- Oral liquids or capsules of antifungals such as amphotericin B, diflucan, and ketoconazole
- Oral liquids or capsules of “nonabsorbable” antibiotics, such as vancomycin, to regulate gut microflora.
- Detoxifiers and chelators such as DMSA, CaEDTA, and TTFD
- Transdermal Low Dose Naltrexone (LDN)
- Vitamin formulations such as transdermal, nasal, and SC forms of methylated B12, transdermal B complex, and transdermal Pyridoxal-5-Phosphate.